Monday, May 20, 2013

Review: Velata

Reviewer ~  Jackie Snider

Velata. I think its safe to say most people had heard of this company. However, the question is, have you tried it? Until about two weeks ago, I hadn’t. 



Velata is an offshoot of the Scentsy family.  It is fun delicious fondue in the comfort of your own home! It consists of a microwave/dishwasher safe silicone dish that sits on top of a warmer heated by a light bulb. They used to offer just various chocolates but recently started carrying cheese fondues as well. I got the opportunity to try both a chocolate and a cheese option with a Velata warmer.


Going through the awesome consultant, Ashely McDowell, I was given the option to choose from which chocolate and which cheese fondue I wanted to work with. That’s right! There are options! For the chocolate they have milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate and milk chocolate caramel. It was one of the hardest choices I’ve ever been faced with; they all sounded delicious! After she told me the caramel milk chocolate was one of the biggest sellers, I went ahead and chose it. For the cheeses the options were cheddar, fiesta queso, smoked Gouda and bacon cheddar. She told me that the smoked Gouda was her best seller, so I wanted to shine some light on another option for the review. I chose the fiesta queso.

The box of goodies arrived just a little over a week after the order was placed. We didn’t hesitate to try the chocolate! That night after dinner, I told my daughter we had a special surprise for dessert. The process was so incredible simple. We plugged in the warmer to get it set up, after a minute or two it was ready. Then we put the package of chocolate directly in the microwave. Once it was done, and the warmer was warm, we poured it in. The purpose of the warmer is just to keep the chocolate warm and melted while eating. We gathered a bunch of different things to dip, which I think was my favorite part. We had an assortment of fruit, which included melons, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, and pineapple. We also had cookie pieces, and cut up leftover birthday cheesecake.





I honestly cannot praise this caramel milk chocolate enough! It was so incredibly delicious. The three of us stood around the kitchen counter, my 3-year-old standing on a chair, with our own individual fondue forks, going to town until our bellies hurt. I really loved that the warmer came with four fondue forks so everyone could have his or her own. The only thing I can say against the warmer is that I wish it had a longer cord. We couldn’t use it at our kitchen table without getting an extension cord out.


About a week later, on a night we were having Mexican chicken, I thought it would be a great time to try the fiesta queso cheese fondue. This time, instead of as dessert or appetizer, we decided to get an extension cord and set it out on table while we eat dinner. We dipped our chicken, tortillas, and tortilla chips into it. To be honest, I wasn’t overly impressed by it. In my mind, when I think fiesta queso I think about the white cheese you get in the restaurants. It was, however, mostly cheddar based. I didn’t taste any spicy heat, but it did have spices of flavor. In my opinion, it was very close to a flavored cheese wiz. My husband and daughter both did enjoy it for what it is though, so I’m not saying it was bad, just not what I had expected, I suppose.



I’m so happy to have had this experience and Ashley has definitely made me a lifetime customer! I have already ordered more through her, in fact! In case you’re wondering, I am trying the dark chocolate, and the smoked Gouda this time around!

Also, I have yet to try it but they even have mixables that you can purchase for the chocolates. They have mocha, orange, peppermint and raspberry. How exciting is that!

The warmers come in almost all colors, and are available in three different styles. The one I received is a pedestal. Pedestal and curve are both mostly white with pops of color on target spots of the warmer. There is also the color collection which features very rounded classy warmers in full color.

All of their warmers appear to be $40.00. The chocolate fondues are $7. The cheese fondues are $6. The mixables, which each contain 3 flavor packs are $4. In my opinion these are all very reasonably priced for what you get.

Furthermore I should mention that after my husband and I were full, we felt completely confident leaving my daughter at the table to finish on her own. It heats up enough to keep the chocolate warm, but never gets hot enough to burn your hands to touch.


Overall, I am very happy by my experience with Velata specifically through my consultant, Ashley McDowell. She checked up many times throughout my time with the product to make sure I didn’t have any questions and that everything was going smoothly. Velata gave my family a unique dessert experience I can’t wait to do again. Not only that, but it gave my family a reason to sit around the table and laugh and talk and just enjoy being together. As a wife and mother, nothing beats the opportunity to bring the family together!

Ashley McDowell on Facebook
Ashley McDowell, Velata




*** 
This post was originally posted at WAHM Review and is being cross posted here by the original author.  I received no monetary compensation for this review, however I was provided with the product for free for purposes of review.  All opinions are my own. Click here see our full disclosure policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment